St James College, Bentleigh East is a Regional Catholic Boys' College offering tuition to students from Year 7 to 10. Founded in 1970, the College caters for the needs of students living in the surrounding parishes. When space permits, enrolment is available to students from other suburbs. The present enrolment is 464 students.
The College shares in the Lasallian Charism attributed to the the De La Salle Brothers, a Community of Religious men founded in France by St John Baptist De La Salle for the education of the poor. The Brothers educational works are found in over 80 countries with 20 schools in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea being staffed by Brothers and their Lasallian Partners.
The College Board
- The College Board was set up prior to the commencement of the College to assist in the initial stages of the building and administration. Its current functions are:
- to assist the Principal in the continual planning of the College;
- to act as a forum for discussion on matters concerning education in the College;
- to plan for implementation of quality Catholic Education in the College;
- to act as a communication channel for the various bodies within the school community.
Membership of the College Board is as follows:
- Elected Parish Priests from the Regional Parishes.
- The Principal.
- Elected member of the teaching staff.
- Nominated representatives from regional parishes.
- Elected members of the College Parents and Friends' Association.
The College Board meets regularly. Parents are welcome to bring matters of interest or concern pertaining to College policy to the attention of the Board.
Parents' and Friends' Association
The general aim of this Association is to foster a spirit of union and a sense of belonging among the parents and families of St. James College. The College is fortunate to receive practical and financial support by a number of fundraising and social activities organised by the Parents and Friends. Meetings are held monthly and upcoming activities are advertised in the St. James College Newsletter. All parents are encouraged to participate. Click here for more information on the St James College Parents and Friends Association.